In 2016, I attempted the 50 Book Challenge for the first time. By the end of December, I had read 52 books – an average of a book per week.
So, I am doing the 50 Book Challenge again this year, but this time around, I am adding some rules for the books I read in order to broaden the spectrum of books I read, and to support under-represented voices in literature.
Here are my rules for my 2017 50 Book Challenge.
- At least half of all books must be written by female-identifying people (F)
- At least half of all books must be written by people of colour/non-white people (POC)
- At least ten books must be translated works (T)
- At least ten books must be non-fiction (NF)
- At least ten books must be written by Australian authors (AUS)
I will be keeping a record of all the books I read this year on this page, with the codes above next to the titles, to keep track of how I am going with this challenge, and so you guys can see what I read this year.
I would encourage all the avid readers out there to join me in doing this challenge, and please let me know if you adopt these rules (or a version of them) for your own reading goals this year. I’m curious to see what you end up reading.
50 Book Challenge 2017
- Sula by Toni Morrison (F, POC)
- Difficult Women by Roxane Gay (F, POC)
- The Mothers by Brit Bennett (F, POC)
- The Clothing of Books by Jhumpa Lahiri (F, POC, T, NF)
- The Last Summer by Ricarda Huch (F, T)
- milk and honey by Rupi Kaur (F, POC)
- Modern Romance by Aziz Ansari (POC, NF)
- The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas (F, POC)
- Stay With Me by Ayobami Adebayo (F, POC)
- Dear Ijeawele, or A Feminist Manifesto in Fifteen Suggestions by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (F, POC, NF)
- American War by Omar El Akkad (POC)
- We Come Apart by Sarah Crossan and Brian Conaghan (F)
- The Orange Grove by Larry Tremblay (T)
- Release by Patrick Ness
- Lord of Shadows by Cassandra Clare (F)
- One by Sarah Crossan (F)
- The Girl With All The Gifts by M.R. Carey
- No Way! Okay, Fine. by Brodie Lancaster (F, AUS)
- Ghachar Ghochar by Vivek Shanbhag (POC, T)
- The Cut by Anthony Cartwright
- Nevermoor: The Trials of Morrigan Crow by Jessica Townsend (F, AUS)
- All That She Can See by Carrie Hope Fletcher (F)
- Hunger by Roxane Gay (F, POC)
- Tin Man by Sarah Winman (F)
- City of Thieves by David Benioff
- Everless by Sara Holland (F)
- Illegal by Eoin Colfer and Andrew Donkin
- Moonrise by Sarah Crossan (F)
- The Taste of Blue Light by Lydia Ruffles (F)